Why Shopify is using Ruby On Rails?
What is Shopify?
Shopify is one of the e-commerce platforms that allows you to create online shopping websites that integrate with social networking, post products, shopping cart, payment features, order processing, all integrated with Shopify. Shopify is cloud-based software that operates on a monthly subscription model, it gives small business owners access to an admin panel where you can enter store data, add products, and process orders.
It is basically a Software-as-a-Service platform that gives entrepreneurs and intrapreneurs the opportunity to create a secure online store with wider features and choices to select their best payment gateways out of hundreds of possible options. For the advanced user, there is an option to edit the ready-made design templates.
Shopify is an easy-to-use application for online retailers and also comes with a Point Of Sale (POS) app for payment of goods in physical locations. It offers merchants the ability to create a multi-channel experience that helps showcase the brand. With this subscription-based platform, you can create a website and use their shopping cart solution to sell, ship, and manage your products. The software is easy to use and comes with an easy learning curve, so you can get your online store up and running quickly.
Why does Shopify use Ruby on Rails?
Ruby on Rails is a web development framework for building web applications. Ruby on Rails, or Rails, is a server-side web application framework written in Ruby under the MIT License. Rails is a model–view–controller (MVC) framework, providing default structures for a database, a web service, and web pages. Even though RoR has reached its maturity, is one of the best web development frameworks available today, highly recommended by developers worldwide.
For the uninitiated, Ruby on Rails is very much prevalent in the present day. It is forming a niche because of its vast usage among millions of websites. Ruby on Rails is no longer a one advantage wonder web development framework. What makes it different is its effective development time, super-fast deployment, user-friendliness, etc.
When Shopify was launched, at that time RoR was very popular. It was a promising framework and it is now. RoR helped Shopify to grow relatively at the same time as its number of users increased. This scalability feature of ruby on rails made it a favorite for the founders as it perfectly answers the rising demands of the new client, product additions, feature releases, and much more. The RoR architecture was famous for its modularity which means that the system can be divided into modules and gems.
The main idea was to create a platform where the tool merchants can build their own online store and sell their products easily. Bringing such a powerful platform requires overcoming a lot of technical challenges such as security infrastructure for proper user data handling, larger database sets, API creation, third-party integration, and availability issues. This is where RoR saves the bill.
- Ruby on rails is known as a mature, and stable technology. It means when hundreds of merchants use Shopify they feel the ease of app operation and significant efficiency in performance of the platform by removing any lags that occur.
- RoR provides out-of-the box security. They have default security headers that defend applications from clickjacking. Like, XSS is protected by default.
- RoR is agile and supports quick application development. It takes very less time to write and maintain the apps as compared to other programming languages. Its open source library and undying support of the RoR community has been helping in improving the development workflow and allowing quick development of almost any idea.
- RoR uses MVC architecture. This allows extensibility and modularity of apps in the Shopify platform. Therefore, no matter its complexity, a merchant can easily add new features to their online store in Shopify taking the help of a developer.
- RoR uses a software engineering principle called Convention over Configuration (CoC) which is hugely followed by developers all around the world. When working in a team, it is hard to review and keep track of one another’s code. But, through CoC one can know how to connect URL paths to application logic, and database tables and columns.
If you get any trouble or you need any help please let me know in the comment box. we will be happy to help you.</p>